24 August 2009

7 km treadmill run: 1 hour

When I was a kid of about 13 our physical culture lessons often happened at the local stadium, Dynamo. Once, while other kids were playing soccer my friend and I went for a run on the track. We decided to go for 20 laps - 8 km - jogging. At lap 10 I suggested we call it a day, but Miroslav insisted. I obeyed,and we completed the goal. Out teacher gave us shit when he found out: too much, too dangerous and so on. The funniest thing was,I wasn't that tired: we went back to school to do the home work, and the evening at home was nothing usual. In any case, I did not feel sleepy.

I wonder where has all this strength gone. It is definitely not testosterone: I was in pre-puberty age. My theory is it's the technique. We run correctly when we are younger and then lose this ability as we age. After reading Born to Run I also got Chi Running. It makes a lot of sense: you want to run without getting injured - you have to learn to do it correctly. SO when we are kids we run instinctively. Years of sedentary work and various - usually self-coached and sometimes doubtful - fitness activities somehow take our ability to run away. Just a theory.

It feels good to run. And it is nice to see some progress.

4 comments:

brian said...

when you are 13 you weigh about half you do as an adult. less energy/strength is needed to run, not to mention less impact with each stride. i dont think little kids are running with the same efficency as experienced runners.

if you want to run better naturally then try running without shoes. heel-toe running leads to injury while running with a slight forward lean and on the ball of the foot leads to efficent running.

Smet said...

I try to keep the technique as described in Chi Running, similar to what you are describing. Landing on the heels not good, I agree. I also try run in Vibrams when possible.

Paul , Marguerite , Alex, Luke 'n' James said...

The problem starts as soon as the child starts sitting at a desk. the more studious - the greater the risk. Darwinism is cruel. Fight back!

girevikdavid said...

100 reps - good on you mate

David